LEONORE HARDY DVORKIN
Information last updated May 2016
My foreign language education, begun in 1959, has included varying amounts of German, French, Spanish, and Latin. I have used my knowledge of foreign languages and of English grammar and usage as a base for a career in language tutoring. In addition, I have extensive proofreading and editing experience, German-English translating experience, and some Spanish-English/English-Spanish translating experience. Since 1976, I have taught my trademarked exercise program, Conditioning with Weights,
for which I won a state-wide award. In addition, I am the author of a literary novel (Apart from You
), a non-fiction book (Another Chance at Life: A Breast Cancer Survivor's Journey
), and a one-act fantasy play (The Glass Family
), as well as numerous published articles.
- B.A. in German, minor in English, Indiana University, 1972. 3.49 cumulative GPA. 3.77 combined GPA in all language-related courses: German, English, Comparative Literature, Latin, and French.
- B.A. in German, minor in French, Metropolitan State College of Denver, 1991. Summa Cum Laude, 4.0 cumulative GPA.
(Note: Metropolitan State College of Denver is now Metropolitan State University of Denver, MSU Denver.)
- 31 semester hours of college Spanish, Metropolitan State College of Denver, 4.0 GPA.
Extensive informal Spanish study.
- Study in Germany:
1959-1961: Lived and attended school near Munich, Germany.
1988 and 1990: Took part in Metropolitan State College of Denver's intensive German language study program at the Akademie Klausenhof in Rhede, Germany.
- Since 1988, have regularly attended German, French, and Spanish conversation group meetings in the Denver area.
Outstanding Academic Achievements
- 1962: While a sophomore in high school, placed first in the state of Indiana (out of 740 contestants) in a competitive German competency exam for students of third and fourth year German.
- 1964: Won my high school's Senior English Medal.
- 1964: My high AP (Advanced Placement) exam scores allowed me to take third-year German literature courses as a freshman at Indiana University.
- While at Metropolitan State College of Denver, earned a grade of "sehr gut" (= A) on the Level I and Level II Goethe Institut German competency exams. (The Level III exam is administered only in Germany.)
- While at Metropolitan State College of Denver, was granted several academic honors, such as multiple President's Honor Roll listings and a Colorado Scholars scholarship.
Academic Honor Society Memberships
- Delta Phi Alpha National German Honor Society
- Phi Sigma Iota International Foreign Language Honor Society
- Golden Key National Honor Society
Teaching and Tutoring Experience
- Since 1976, have taught my trademarked exercise program, Conditioning with Weights. Am solely responsible for program content and instruction. In 1977, won the YWCA Sportswomen of Colorado Award in Health and Physical Fitness for my "innovative program and outstanding teaching."
- In 1987, tutored English composition in the Writing Center at Metropolitan State College of Denver (director, Dr. Elsie Haley).
- Since 1988, have tutored college students and others in German, French, Spanish, and English as a Second Language (ESL). Currently, my primary work consists of tutoring Spanish and German.
- At Metropolitan State College of Denver, have taught and substitute taught various German courses in grammar and reading.
- In 2006 and 2007, taught twice-weekly classes in ESL to Spanish-speaking employees of Molly Maid of Greater Denver (two locations).
- Summer 2008, taught a 10-week beginning Spanish course at the Auraria Campus Library, Denver, Colorado.
Translating and Interpreting Experience
- 1963: Translated Heinrich Böll's story "Eine Kiste für Kop," published as "A Crate for Kop" in the short story anthology The Modern Talent, edited by John Edward Hardy (Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1964).
- 1990: While in Germany, served as interpreter for our student group during a visit to a rural history museum in Westphalia.
- From 1991 to 1999, I worked in a translating partnership with Sabine Enzinger Hatch, of Denver, Colorado. In 1992, we incorporated our translation agency, Translation Partners International, which serves clients in the U.S. and Germany. I acted as TPI's Vice President, head German-English translator, and marketing director. Materials I translated included business correspondence and records, semi-technical and semi-legal documents, advertising, personal correspondence, and various documents pertaining to art, music, travel, sociology, and family records. Clients include Roche Diagnostics GmbH, Cobe Laboratories, Melco Industries, TransLogic Corporation, Genesis, and Escalante International Corporation.
Proofreading, Editing, and Writing Experience
- 1963-64: Assisted my father, the literary critic Dr. John Edward Hardy, with proofreading two of his book manuscripts.
- Since 1975, have assisted my husband, David Dvorkin, with proofreading the manuscripts for his 27 books published thus far (as of December 2017).
- 1987: Assisted Dr. Gudrun Clay (Metropolitan State College of Denver) with proofreading the manuscript for the first edition of her business German text, GESCHÄFTSDEUTSCH (McGraw-Hill).
- Since 1988, have proofread and edited numerous academic papers in English, German, French, and Spanish for my students at Metropolitan State College of Denver and the University of Colorado Denver.
- Beginning in January 2006, I wrote over two dozen articles on fitness and nutrition for Denver's Community News magazine, which is no longer being published. These articles are archived on this website, here and here. Many of these articles have been revised and republished in Consumer Vision Magazine, a monthly online newsletter.
- Author of the novel Apart from You. The most recent edition was published in 2010 in both print and e-book formats.
- Author of the nonfiction book Another Chance at Life: A Breast Cancer Survivor's Journey. The most recent print and e-book editions were published in 2012. A Spanish edition of the book was published in e-book and print in 2012 under the title Una nueva opportunidad a la vida: El camino de una sobreviviente de cáncer de mama.
- Author of The Glass Family: A Play in One Act, published in print and e-book editions in 2012.
- I contributed a 4,000-word essay to How We Became Breast Cancer Thrivers, published October 2010, edited by Beverly Vote, publisher of Breast Cancer Wellness magazine.
E-book version: Go to http://www.breastcancerwellness.org/how-we-became-breast-cancer-thrivers/ to read the book. Fill in the form to download the easy-to-read PDF file. My essay is on pages 73-79.
Print version: Copyright 2011 by Beverly Vote. ISBN 978-0-9768995-0-1. Publisher: Thrivers Publishing LLC, P.O. Box 2040, Lebanon MO 65536. $16.95 paperback.
- "Two Terrific Blind Guys and How I Came to Be Their Friend" is an interview with my friends Brian Nash and Reginald George, conducted by me and published in Recovering the Self magazine, July 2011, Vol. III, No. 3. Copyright 2011 Loving Healing Press, Inc. ISBN-13 978-1-61599-105-1. $13.95. Read a shortened version of the interview here.
- In July 2012, I contributed an article about aging, "Age Is a Number, but Growing Old is Largely an Attitude," to Recovering the Self magazine. My article was part of an article titled "Voices on 'Aging and Life,'" which was printed in the July 2012 issue of Recovering the Self, Vol. IV, No. 3, pp. 78-81. The theme for that issue was "Aging and Elders." The ISBN-13 of the July 2012 issue is 978-1-61599-165-5. To read my article, click here.
- Since 2009, I have proofread and edited some 50 books, both fiction and non-fiction, by other authors (as of December 2017). For complete information about the editing and publishing services provided by me and my husband, David Dvorkin, click here.
Note that we are now DLD Books, Editing and Self-Publishing Services.
2957 S. Quay Way
Denver CO 80227-3541